Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dilemma

Hey friends! I'm looking for some advice. I went to the doctor yesterday for a follicle scan. Basically, they used an ultrasound to check out my ovaries to see what was going on. The physicians assistant thought that it might be cysts from my PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) so she had another doctor look at the scans. This doctor is also an infertility specialist. He recommends that I take birth control for 3 months to get rid of this cysts and then go back on the femara. I don't really want to take birth control because it makes getting pregnant MUCH harder (impossible!!!). Should I take it anyway? Should I just ignore what the doctor thinks? Please help!!

5 comments:

  1. I don't know much about cysts but I know they can be painful. Do you know if having cysts would make it harder to get pregnant? Or dangerous for you or baby. I can relate I had a miscarriage in March. I think that your health is most important, if it would be better for you to do birth control so that you can be healthy and to have a good pregnancy then that is what I would do. But no matter what prayer will be your best tool. :)

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ovarian cysts off birth control about twice a year really bad. It usually hospitalizes me too every time. Once on birth control they all went away. It's hard to get pregnant with cysts growing so in the long run 3 months of it to clean them off might be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take the birth control! If your cysts get too large, they may rupture and like Katie said, you'll end up in the hospital because it hurts so bad. The pain in incapacitating. Chances are you won't need to take the birth control for the full three months. I had a cyst the size of an orange when Artene and I first got married, and after one pack of birth control (a month) it was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree and say you should be on it. And birth control helps you get regular menstrual cycles also which also should help. I know when they thought I had cysts, they said it was going to be difficult unless you get rid of them. And if your doctor says birth control will get rid of it, then you can try it and try to get regular, and then hopefully ovulate. Have you also asked about an insulin type drug. I know people with pcos get prescribed an insulin type thing to. But, pray about it and see what you think, but I dont think it can do any more harm except maybe get rid of a problem which could affect pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So... I don't know much about this... but if the cysts could stop you from getting pregnant, then I think you should do whatever it takes to get rid of them. But I would think that emotionally it would seem like a step backwards. Sorry this is hard for you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete